The next RAWFILL workshop about landfill mining policies will be held on October 22, 2019 in Lindlar (Germany).
As circular economy is one of the main priorities to the EU, the landfill mining is an efficient solution to the transition from traditional waste management to sustainable material management. Despite the multiple advantages of landfill mining, there are no general consistent legislative frameworks and approval procedures for landfill mining in most of the NWE regions. To tackle the existing barriers, RAWFILL discusses with local authorities and facilitates the knowledge exchange on landfill management and mining at an EU-level.
During this workshop, RAWFILL partners, local and regional authorities from North-West Europe (mainly Belgium, France and Germany) and private companies interested in landfill mining activities will present the legal aspects of landfill mining policies, the benefit of the landfill mining as well as the new methodology developed by RAWFILL.
The workshop will take place from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on the site of Leppe in Lindlar, Germany which is one of the pilot tests within the project RAWFILL.
Please find below the program of the workshop.
Programme (9 a.m. to 5 p.m.)
9:00 – 9h30 Welcome coffee
9:30 – 10h00 Presentation of the site
10:00 – 12:30 Site visit of :Metabolon and demonstration of geophysics
12:30 – 13:30 Lunch
13:30 – 15:30 Presentations and Discussions
- Legal requirements for landfill mining and aftercare in Germany (Carina Nathaus - Ministry of environment, agriculture and nature and consumer protection of North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany)
- The landfill of Onoz and the Greendeal in Wallonia (Claudia Neculau – SPAQuE, Wallonia, Belgium)
- Landfill aftercare in Wallonia – Legal aspects (Emerance Bietlot - ISSeP, Wallonia, Belgium)
- The case study of les Champs Jouault: legal requirement in France and advantage of landfill mining for authorized landfill (Simon Loisel, Director of SAS les Champs Jouault).
15:30 – 15:45 Coffee break
15:45 – 17:30 Presentations and Discussions
- Landfill mining legislation in Flanders (OVAM - provisional title).
- Dutch policy regarding landfill mining (Fons van de Sande - Rijkswaterstaat, the Netherlands).
- Results and evaluation of Interreg project COCOON – Consortium for a coherent European landfill management strategy (Ulrich Stock – State office of Environment of the State of Brandenburg, Germany).
- Landfill miner guide presentation (Laura Lamair, SPAQuE, Wallonia, Belgium).
Please note that the workshop will be given in English.
The number of participants is limited to 30. Participation is free of charge. You have the possibility to register for either only the site visit or the workshop or to participate at the entire event. If you want to participate at the entire day, please register in Eventbrite for the site visit and for the workshop.