- RAWFILL offers an evidence-based methodology (including innovative landfills characterization by geophysical imaging and guided sampling) promoting the standardization of enhanced landfill inventories in North-West Europe, in order to support, through its multicriteria decision support tool, new business models taking into account the resource recovery potential of landfills.
RAWFILL addresses these shortcomings:
- an enhanced framework for private/regional/national/transregional landfill inventories, taking into account a reliable way to estimate the economic potential of the landfills
- an innovative approach using the most modern combinations of geophysical methods to complete any set of missing mandatory economic data (landfill geophysics)
- a decision support tool allowing prioritizing landfills in order to determine the most
- economically viable landfill mining projects to be implemented at regional/transregional level.
- The project envisages investments in geophysical surveys, sampling and financial feasibility studies for 2 pilot landfill locations. The insights from these investments will be used for demonstration and dissemination purposes.
- RAWFILL impacts positively at different levels:
- The expected immediate impact is the direct benefit for landfill owners & managers in the regions as they will profit from revenues generated by the recovered materials from landfills. Project partners will already benefit during implementation from the development and the application of the methodology. The public authorities can use the prioritisation tool to improve their regional landfill policy.
- A second level is related to the dissemination of results by cooperation with overarching platforms/projects such as EURELCO through topic groups and education.
- Finally, the ultimate impacts (benefits) are the more efficient use of resources, the decrease of the level of environmental pollution, the reduction of socio-economic disparities as well as job creation.
RAWFILL has the pleasure to invite you to the Conference “Landfills II – the Return : mine old landfills, utopia, or reality ?” organized on 30 November at POLLUTEC 2018. Read More