Ville de Lille big announcements!
Lille hosted the kick off conference for the SHICC project last month. This transnational event gathered more than 130 people from 70 organisations including a lot of OFS and CLTs from the UK, Belgium, France Germany or Netherlands, existing or in creation. The 2 days were a great opportunity to share views on the model of producing permanent affordable homes in European cities.
2 big announcements were made at the transnational conference held last month:
The first announcement was the legal possibility of creating OFS homes with existing properties, something that was previously only possible with new builds. This was announcements by Maitre Frederic Rousse, Emeritus Notary. The second was by Audrey Linhenheld, Lille local Councillor and Co author of legislation of the French CLT model, who announced a French network of OFS would be created, with 25 already identified in France.
Ville de Lille in the press:
Community Land Trust Brussels
Just some of the fantastic work being done Community Land Trust Brussels:
- Presented its model and the SHICC project to European stakeholders at “Affordable housing for inclusive cities”, an event hosted by the Gothenburg European Office, on 16 May.
- Had meetings with senior politicians and civil servants from the city of Leuven on 28 May to further discuss how a CLT could be implemented in that city.
- Co-organised a screening of “Arc of Justice” with an introduction by John Davis on 28 May in Brussels.
- Shared its model and experience with the involvement of future residents at an event on citizen participation in housing and urban development projects organised by the “Transnational Platform for Urban Development Training “(PFTU), an INTERREG project, on 31 May in Annemasse (France).
Catch CLTB at these upcoming events:
- The 2nd annual meeting of the Social production of Habitat platform on supporting collaborative housing across the world organised by Urbamonde on 14 June in Geneva.
- CLTB will present at a Conference on collaborative and community-led Housing organised by Federcasa, an Italian federation of social housing, on 27 June in Matera, Italy.
Community Land Trust Brussels in the press:
Building a treasure map
Throughout April and May FMDV has been working on mapping the existing and potential funding sources for CLT/OFS finance in France. This exercise is covering France, England, Wales and Brussels region so far. It aims to analyse and raise awareness of existing gaps along the financial chain as well as overcoming a lack of information on the matter. Throughout this process the FMDV for in rough with the SHICC partners in order to learn from their experience and have been able to present the preliminary results of this work during the Lille SHICC kick-off conference.
FMDV has been building partnerships with French local authorities engaged in the process of community of CLT/OFS creation and/or engaged into alternative urban production. For example Murielle Rolland, who is in charge of the development of the Parisian OFS, and the City of Montreuil is also interested in engaging the discussion on the topic.
Additionally, the FMDV connected with Eutropian, a research, policy and advocacy organisation, which produced a report on the financing of cooperative cities. The FMDV and Eutropian had been looking into the opportunities of building bridges between the SHICC project and the “Open Heritage project” Eutropian is in charge of (EU funding, H2020 program) which actually look at financing heritage site.
Catch FMDV at these upcoming events:
- “Logement d’abord: un défi pour l’Europe/”Housing First: a European Challenge”, Held by the Fondation Abbé Pierre, la FEANTSA, Housing Europe et l’Union Sociale pour l’Habitat (Paris, June 5th)
- “Soutenir l’Habitat Collaboratif à travers le monde/Supporting Collaborative Housing across the world”, Second annual meeting of the Social Housing production plateform, Held by Urbamonde (Geneva, June 14 th )
- “Urban densification, energy efficiency and affordability of housing”, Held by Housing Europe and Paris Habitat (Paris, June 14 th)
- “Rencontres nationales de l’habitat participatif/Annual Meeting of the Participative Housing movement” Held by coordin’action (Nantes, July 5 th -7 th )
Brasted close site goes into planning
There has been big news for Lewisham Citizens. They have handed in the planning application for CLT housing in Brasted close. London CLT have been working closely with them on the campaign and preparation of the plans for the site and are very happy to see support from many including Mayor of Lewisham Damien Egan.
Timeline set for CLT in Ghent
City of Ghent and the local public development company (sogent) held a press conference about the CLT Ghent project at Meulestede. They announced that the construction works will start in 2020, and the houses will be ready in 2022. The city councillor of housing, Sven Taeldeman, talked about the foundation of our CLT Ghent ‘trust’ and the agreement signed by the four local key partners: CLT Ghent NGO, CLT Ghent trust (stichting), sogent and WoninGent (local social housing company). It is the first public communication of the city to be so concrete and clear about the project. Other CLTs’ news: Leuven’s city councillor of housing, Mohamed Ridouani, met with John Davis and CLT Brussels on 28 th of May. He announced the start of a local CLT will be examined. Furthermore Ridouani proposed several locations for the CLT-projects and mentioned a possible number of 500 new CLT-units. Policy or funding news from your part of the region:
CLT Ghent press:
National CLT Network
Kennedy, the National CLT Network’s Communications and Campaigns Officer put some of his takeaways from the SHICC kick-off conference in Lille in a short blog post.
Building a movement
The National CLT Network are working closely with the Confederation of Co-operative Housing and UK Cohousing to a build a single website for community-led housing. The aim of this is to make it easier for groups to get stuff done and helping community led housing to become a mainstream housing option in England and Wales.
Additionally, they have been preparing for the launch of the multimillion Community Housing Fund. The fund has been something the community-led housing sector have been lobbying hard for and will be the biggest investment the community led housing sector has seen for the past 30 years.