EMEC has welcomed Spanish tidal energy developer Magallanes Renovables back to its tidal test site at the Fall of Warness in Orkney, Scotland. The successful reinstallation of Magallanes’ second generation 2 MW tidal platform ‘ATIR’ took place on 19 April 2021. The Magallanes team worked in collaboration with Orkney-based marine service provider Leask Marine, along with the Orkney Harbour Authority tug Thor, to install the platform in an operation lasting eight hours. Read More
Ocean DEMO - Demonstration Programme for Ocean Energy Pilot Farms and Supporting Technologies
The existing terrestrial supply for renewables is already market-driven, whereas Ocean Energy (OE) is untapped. Having advanced single device OE deployments, FORESEA has identified a key market failure relating to the first multi-device OE farms; this is the point when risks and capital requirements are highest, hence market intervention is now most needed to realise the NWE OE potential.
Ocean DEMO will address this market failure via 3 key elements:
- Prove investability with investors by demonstrating and de-risking the most promising OE generating technologies in multi-device farm configuration.
- Develop an active supply chain that invests in dedicated OE sub-systems and components.
- Create a supportive policy environment for OE by providing governments with confidence in OE and highlighting OE's economic benefits.
- Demonstrate investability of OE with at least 15 investors that provide debt and project finance to raise awareness & promote the uptake of OE.
- Create a more active and invested supply chain to help reduce technical risk of OE and advance the TRL of dedicated OE sub-systems and components.
- Establish political support for a supportive policy environment that will encourage production of ocean energy in NWE. These will most likely be in Ireland, UK, the Netherlands, France and Belgium as this is where the majority of the NWE resource is located.
- Operation of 2 OE deployments in multi-device farm configuration in NWE connected to the European electricity grid.
- Advance 15 cross cutting low carbon technologies to near to commercial readiness.
- Supportive policy environment for OE in at least 3 member states in NWE.
- 500m EUR of private funds invested into OE deployment farm deployments
- 20 dedicated OE products
- 100MW of OE installed capacity
Dutch Marine Energy Centre
BlueWise Marine (SmartBay Test Site)
c/o GMIT IHubs Galway, Dublin Road
Ecole Centrale de Nantes
1 rue de la Noë, BP 92101
Nantes cedex 3
Ocean Energy Europe
63 Rue D'Arlon
European Marine Energy Centre
Old Academy, Stromness, Orkney
|European Marine Energy Centre||
Old Academy, Stromness, Orkney
|Dutch Marine Energy Centre||Benjamin Lehneremail@example.com||Netherlands|
|BlueWise Marine (SmartBay Test Site)||Mairéad Elliottfirstname.lastname@example.org||Ireland|
|Ecole Centrale de Nantes||Florent Jubéemail@example.com||France|
|Ocean Energy Europe||Victor Kempffirstname.lastname@example.org||Belgium|
Orbital Marine Power Ltd (Orbital), Scottish-based developers of the world’s leading floating tidal turbine technology, successfully launched its 2MW tidal turbine, the Orbital O2, from the Port of Dundee on Thursday 22nd April. Read More
Wave power specialists Mocean Energy today unveiled their Blue X wave energy prototype which will take to the seas in Orkney next month. The 20-metre long, 38-tonne wave machine has been fabricated wholly in Scotland and will be deployed at the European Marine Energy Centre’s Scapa Flow test site for sea trials initially, and then later deployed at EMEC’s large scale Billia Croo test site this summer. Read More
Ocean DEMO's mission is to help the development of the Ocean Energy (OE) industry, by identifying the current and future challenges and by de-risking technologies through easy access to test sites. We are in the process of creating a brochure dedicated to Ocean Energy Investors, which can be used to promote OE as a profitable industry. To this end, we believe your input on your interactions with investors to date is valuable and would greatly inform this brochure. Read More
Join us at ICOE 2021 for our session on the challenges of scaling up to multi device, with speakers from EMEC, Orbital Marine Power and SEM-REV! Read More
Edinburgh wave energy developer, Mocean Energy, is gearing up to deploy its scale prototype, Blue X wave energy converter at the European Marine Energy Centre (EMEC) in Orkney, Scotland. Read More
Multi-device deployments are the next step in the tidal stream technology. A few pilot farms are currently in the water, with lots more in the pipeline for the next years. In this webinar, you will hear lessons learnt from pilot farm projects so far and considerations to be made when going from a single device to an array deployment. Read More
OPIN is organising a workshop at OEE2020 in conjunction with the OceanDEMO project. Both projects have been in operation since 2019, are Interreg NWE funded and have been engaged in providing novel and innovative supports to help the Ocean Energy sector address challenges for development and deployment. Read More
The EU-funded Ocean DEMO project has awarded recommendations for support to 12 offshore renewable energy developers under its 3rd call. The awards will support developers on their path to commercialisation and ease the transition of ocean energy towards multi-device farms by providing free access to open sea test sites. Read More
The EU-funded Ocean DEMO project is open until 18th September 2020, at 17:00 UTC. Successful applicants will receive free access to test their ocean energy products and services in real sea environments at the project’s network of test centres. This call focuses on supporting technology developers with high readiness level for deployment in late 2020 or early 2021. Technology developers can apply for support packages to test multi-device farms or single devices able to scale up to multi-device in the future. Read More