IDEA - Implementation and development of economic viable algae-based value chains
IDEA envisions the development and enrolment of economic viable value chains based on micro-algae in NWEurope. More particularly, partners from Belgium, Germany, France, The Netherlands, Ireland and UK are involved which are countries exposed to a similar climate that is significantly different from the south-European and North-European climate.
The growing world population is in need for new sustainable resources for healthy food/feed & chemicals. Algae produce a variety of compounds via conversion of CO2, nutrients and light, and offer potential as renewable feedstock. Although light intensities and temperatures are lower compared to south-Europe, there is a potential for algae growth. For some species, the NWEuropean climate may even have advantages, and can be economic viable when targeting higher value products (not bioenergy).
Today algae based value chains are not established despite free greenhouse capacities suitable for algae growth. IDEA aims to innovate and push the process development from individual solutions to a viable process chain targeting final compounds for food, feed, cosmetic and agro applications. This will involve at longer term >60 SMEs in the region.
A multidisciplinary team is composed with partners (academics, SMEs, sectoral groups, authorities…) active along the value chain which covers algae growth, harvesting, medium re-use, processing of the algae biomass (including biorefinery) and new marketable final product formulations.
IDEA addresses innovations related to: (1) algae species for NWEurope climate and cultivation efficiency for prolonged growth seasons in NWE (up to 360 days), (2) development of an automated water recirculation, harvest unit & alternative CO2 resources, (3) storage concept, logistics and preservation of algae biomass, (4) regional activities for algae processing, potentially comparable to the milk industry, (5) >15 novel products formulations to targeting value generation. In the IDEA capitalization part, the potential of side-streams is being evaluated for providing nutrients (N/P), CO2, salts, and/or water) in algae growth. IDEA starts where earlier projects ended.
Forschungszentrum Jülich GmbH
Algae Natural Food SAS
850 Bd Sebastien Brant
Innovatiesteunpunt voor landbouw en platteland
CentraleSupélec – Université Paris-Saclay
Grande Voie des Vignes
Feed Design Lab
Thomas More Kempen vzw
Teagasc, The Irish Agricultural and Food Development Authority
University of Twente
Vlaamse Instelling voor Technologisch Onderzoek
|Vlaamse Instelling voor Technologisch Onderzoek||
|Forschungszentrum Jülich GmbH||Christina Kuchendorfemail@example.com||Germany|
|Algae Natural Food SAS||Louis Bourdonnayfirstname.lastname@example.org||France|
|Innovatiesteunpunt voor landbouw en platteland||Kristof Severijnsemail@example.com||Belgium|
|CentraleSupélec – Université Paris-Saclay||Behnam Taidifirstname.lastname@example.org||France|
|Feed Design Lab||Trudy van Megenemail@example.com||Netherlands|
|Thomas More Kempen vzw||Sabine Van Miertfirstname.lastname@example.org||Belgium|
|Teagasc, The Irish Agricultural and Food Development Authority||Maria Hayesemail@example.com||Ireland|
|University of Twente||WIm Brilmanfirstname.lastname@example.org||Netherlands|
|Swansea University||Alla Silkanaemail@example.com||United Kingdom|
|PCFruit vzw||Wendy Van Hemelrijckfirstname.lastname@example.org||Belgium|
|Heirbaut LV||Kris Heirbautemail@example.com||Belgium|
We often have interesting news to tell from within our project. Keep in touch and subscribe to our newsletter!
- Newsletter 1: Algae as a viable alternative to food, animal feed and care products
- Newsletter 2: Year-round algae cultivation in NWEurope
- Newsletter 3: Latest updates in the IDEA project
- Newsletter 4: Latest updates from Feed Design Lab and Forschungszentrum Jülich (FZJ)
- Newsletter 5: Farmer's webinar and open call
- Newsletter 6: Wet preservation and algae biomass
- Newsletter 7: Call for abstracts is open
- Newsletter 8: Looking back at the IDEA algae value chain event on July 6th, 2021
- Newsletter 9: First two IDEA position papers available on the IDEA website
- Newsletter 10: Sustainable production of microalgae with CO2 recycling from biogas and ambient air
- Newsletter 11: Long-term continuous harvesting of algae biomass from an open pond that is treating N-containing low carbon process water
- Verspreet J., S. Kreps, L.Bastiaens. 2020. Evaluation of microbial load, formation of odorous metabolites and lipid stability during wat preservation of Nannochloropsis gaditana concentrates. Applied Sciences (10) 3419. DOI: 10.3390/app10103419
- Verspreet J, L. Soetemans, L.Bastiaens. 2020. Searching for Appropriate Storage Conditions for Short-Term Wet Preservation of Porphyridium purpureum. Appl. Sci. 10, 8315; doi:10.3390/app10238315
- Schellevis et al. (2020). CO2 Capture From Air in a Radial Flow Contactor: Batch or Continuous Operation?
- Van Schoubroeck et al. (2021) An integrated techno-sustainability assessment (TSA) framework for emerging technologies.
- Bermejo E., R. Filali and B. Taidi. (2021). Microalgae culture quality indicators: a review. CRITICAL REVIEWS IN BIOTECHNOLOGY. https://doi.org/10.1080/07388551.2020.1854672
- Verspreet, J., L.Soetemans, C. Gargan, M.Hayes, L.Bastiaens. (2021) Nutritional profiling and preliminairy bioactivity screening of five micro-algae strains cultivated in Northwest Europe. Foods, 10, 1516. https://doi.org/10.3390/foods10071516
- Bermejo-Padilla E., Kinsou H., Filali R., Perez-Bibbins B. and Taidi B. (2021) Rapid indicators for monitoring the health of a culture of Chlamydomonas nivalis during preservation. Journal of Applied Phycology. May 2021. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10811-021-02517-w
- Schellevis M, T. Van Schagen T, W. Brilman (2021). Process optimization of a fixed bed reactor system for Direct Air Capture. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1750583621001833
- Thoré, E.S.J, F. Schoeters, J. Spit & S. Van Miert (2021). Real-time monitoring of microalgal biomass in pilot-scale photobioreactors using nephelometry. https://www.mdpi.com/2227-9717/9/9/1530
- Schoeters F, J. Spit, R.N. Azizah, S. Van Miert (2022). Pilot-scale Cultivation of the Snow Alga Chloromonas typhlos in a Photobioreactor.
- Article on VITO-website
- Article on VITO-website
- Article from VILT
- Article from Agreon
- Article from 'De Vlaamse Ondernemer'
- Article from the Innovation Centre for Agricultural and Rural Development
- Article from Vlaanderen
- Article from 'De Molenaar'
- Article from 'De Standaard'
Virtual algae inspiration tour across (NW)Europe
IDEA envisions the development and enrolment of economic viable value chains based on micro-algae in NWEurope. For that we need to interact with everybody active in that chain.
We made a digital inspiration tour that offers you the possibility to 'visit' actors in the micro algae chain and get in touch with them. This at your own speed when you have time for it!vYou can see different colors of dots on the map representing the different links in the value chain. Every dot gives access to contact info and a corporate video. By watching the video, you can 'visit' the company. Do you have further questions? Contact the company!
Have a nice trip and be careful!
Do you miss your or other companies? Please contact Kristof Severijns: firstname.lastname@example.org
IDEA webinar- July 6th 2021
During the event findings of the IDEA project were presented by the project partners covering among others year round micro algae growth in NWeurope, increasing sustainability of micro algae growth and harvest, wet preservation of algae biomass, processing of algae biomass into products, algae-based product evaluation (feed/food/cosmetics), whole value chain assessment for techno-economic and logistic aspects, and a roadmap towards implementation of an economic viable algae value chain. Further, interactions with other projects (like ValgOrize) & stakeholders will be enabled to get a broader view on opportunities/barriers for algae in Europe.
You can review:
Farmer's microalgae webinar - September 16 - 17 2020 (ENG + FR)
You can review all presentations from our microalgae webinar in French and English here
FZ Jülich Workshop - January 16th 2020
FZ Jülich organised a workshop and discussion ‘Algenbasierte Wertschöpfungsketten und Schnittstellen zur Bioökonomie’ on January 16th, 2020.
Algae trip Holland - March 28-29 2019
Innovatiesteunpunt has organised a two-day field trip to visit several algae growers and processors in The Netherlands. 10 people were very interested in visiting the various companies such as the Algaeparc (University of Wageningen) and Roem Van Yerseke (a grower of algae). You can read the report about this trip here in Dutch.
Results related to algae growth and harvest
- Growth of cold adapted algae
- CO2 capture from air in a radial flow contactor
- A membrane based harvesting and water re-use technology (MAF-technology)
Results related to algae processing
- Wet preservation of Nannochloropsis & Porphyridium biomass
- Processing of Nannochloropsis biomass: from photobioreactor to algae fractions
To help people understand our project IDEA better, we made an infographic.
You can read our IDEA folder here.