IDEA - Implementation and development of economic viable algae-based value chains
IDEA envisions the development and enrolment of economic viable value chains based on micro-algae in NWEurope. More particularly, partners from Belgium, Germany, France, The Netherlands and Ireland are involved which are countries exposed to a similar climate that is significantly different from the south-European and North-European climate.
The growing world population is in need for new sustainable resources for healthy food/feed & chemicals. Algae produce a variety of compounds via conversion of CO2, nutrients and light, and offer potential as renewable feedstock. Although light intensities and temperatures are lower compared to south-Europe, there is a potential for algae growth. For some species, the NWEuropean climate may even have advantages, and can be economic viable when targeting higher value products (not bioenergy).
Today algae based value chains are not established despite free greenhouse capacities suitable for algae growth. IDEA aims to innovate and push the process development from individual solutions to a viable process chain targeting final compounds for food, feed and cosmetic applications. This will involve at longer term >60 SMEs in the region.
A multidisciplinary team is composed with partners (academics, SMEs, sectoral groups, authorities…) active along the value chain which covers algae growth, harvesting, processing of the algae biomass (including biorefinery) and new marketable final product formulations.
IDEA addresses innovations related to: (1) algae species for NWEurope climate and cultivation efficiency for prolonged growth seasons in NWE (up to 360 days), (2) development of an automated water recirculation, harvest unit & alternative CO2 resources, (3) storage concept, logistics and preservation of algae biomass, (4) regional activities for algae processing, potentially comparable to the milk industry, (5) >15 novel products formulations to targeting value generation. IDEA starts where earlier projects ended.
Forschungszentrum Jülich GmbH
Algae Natural Food SAS
850 Bd Sebastien Brant
Innovatiesteunpunt voor landbouw en platteland
CentraleSupélec – Université Paris-Saclay
Grande Voie des Vignes
Feed Design Lab
Thomas More Kempen vzw
Teagasc, The Irish Agricultural and Food Development Authority
Value for Technology bvba
University of Twente
Vlaamse Instelling voor Technologisch Onderzoek
|Vlaamse Instelling voor Technologisch Onderzoek||
|Forschungszentrum Jülich GmbH||Dominik Behrendtemail@example.com||Germany|
|Algae Natural Food SAS||Louis Bourdonnayfirstname.lastname@example.org||France|
|Innovatiesteunpunt voor landbouw en platteland||Kristof Severijnsemail@example.com||Belgium|
|CentraleSupélec – Université Paris-Saclay||Behnam Taidifirstname.lastname@example.org||France|
|Feed Design Lab||Trudy van Megenemail@example.com||Netherlands|
|Thomas More Kempen vzw||Sabine Van Miertfirstname.lastname@example.org||Belgium|
|Teagasc, The Irish Agricultural and Food Development Authority||Maria Hayesemail@example.com||Ireland|
|Value for Technology bvba||Phillips Willemsfirstname.lastname@example.org||Belgium|
|University of Twente||WIm Brilmanemail@example.com||Netherlands|
We often have interesting news to tell from within our project. Keep in touch and subscribe to our newsletter!
- Newsletter 1: Algae as a viable alternative to food, animal feed and care products
- Newsletter 2: Year-round algae cultivation in NWEurope
- Newsletter 3: Latest updates in the IDEA project
- Newsletter 4: Latest updates from Feed Design Lab and Forschungszentrum Jülich (FZJ)
- Newsletter 5: coming up, stay tuned!
- Verspreet J., S. Kreps, L.Bastiaens. 2020. Evaluation of microbial load, formation of odorous metabolites and lipid stability during wat preservation of Nannochloropsis gaditana concentrates. Applied Sciences (10) 3419. DOI: 10.3390/app10103419
- Verspreet J, L. Soetemans, L.Bastiaens. 2020. Searching for Appropriate Storage Conditions for Short-Term Wet Preservation of Porphyridium purpureum. Appl. Sci. 10, 8315; doi:10.3390/app10238315
- FZ Jülich organised a workshop and discussion ‘Algenbasierte Wertschöpfungsketten und Schnittstellen zur Bioökonomie’ on January 16th, 2020.
- Innovatiesteunpunt has organised a two-day field trip to visit several algae growers and processors in The Netherlands. 10 people were very interested in visiting the various companies such as the Algaeparc (University of Wageningen) and Roem Van Yerseke (a grower of algae). You can read the report about this trip here in Dutch.
Farmer's microalgae webinar (ENG + FR)
You can review all presentations from our microalgae webinar in French and English here
IDEA results coming up soon!
To help people understand our project IDEA better, we made an infographic.
You can read our IDEA folder here.
More info coming up soon!