FMDV have been taking their research on tour
October has been a busy month for FMDV who has been working on pushing the results of the first ever cross-regional analysis on Community Land Trusts (CLTs) finance to its partners and network. Notably the research has been disseminated through Housing Europe’s and RTES’ newsletters. They will also have a piece published in the next print issue of Revue Foncière. They have also been presenting their work at a number of events including Ideas Lab in Issy Les Moulineaux, EU Conference on Social Infrastructure Investment in Brussels and more. Alongside this work FMDV have been making good progress on drafting the six case studies, which look at CLT finances.
Community land Trust Brussels have been collaborating
CLTB co-organised with LOCI (the architecture research centre of the Catholic University of Louvain), AngelaD (a grassroots feminist housing project) and the Women’s University, a conference and workshops on innovation housing project orientated towards women in Europe this took place on 11th - 13th October Brussels.
News from CLTB:
- The real-estate supplement of the French-speaking newspaper La Libre dedicated a few lines to CLT Brussels in its dossier on social investment.
- CLTs have been featured prominently in the press during this election month.
- Leuven’s mayor-elect Mohamed Ridouani mentioned his exchange with join Davis organised by CLTB in an interview with the Flemish newspaper De Morgen
- Lauvain-la-Neuve’s (south of Brussels) mayor-elect Julie Chantry mentioned the implementation of a participatory CLT as a priority for her team in the French-speaking newspaper Le Soir.
London CLT letting us know what’s been happening in the city
- Redbridge CLT builds its CLT knowledge: Following the success of Redbridge citizens group to get their local councillors to pledge to CLTs in Ilford and Seven Kings, the councillors along with the Redbridge citizens in October came to St Clements to see the successful project and get inspired for their own future CLT’s.
- Welsh cohousing advocates got inspired at St Clements: London CLT met with a group form both Cardiff and Swansea - a mixture of citizens and people involved cohousing network- showed them around St Clements and introduced them to a very happy new resident at St Clements. Croydon campaign group meeting with the council.
- The Croydon campaign meets with the council: The Croydon campaign group met with a council staff member in advance of a CLT briefing to be presented to the borough. The citizen group is planning a special CLT themed nativity to keep affordable housing on people’s minds as the festive season draws closer.
- Shadwell and Lambeth engaging with the community: The Shadwell and Lambeth CLT campaigners are now working hard to engage all of the local community in the design process for the sites they have won. A lot of door knocking, phone calls and workshops in the pipeline to ensure as many community voices as possible are heard, helping make decisions like which architects should lead the design process, what should the apartments look like, what sizes and layouts make the most sense in their neighbourhoods.
- Win for CLT homes in Waltham Forest: Good news for Waltham Forest, with the council agreeing to include CLTs in the Lea Bridge developer brief. The campaign group prior to this, organised an action day walking from the church to the site, bringing attention to the need for more community-led affordable housing.
National CLT Network has been pushing for a more helpful landscape for CLTs
- The National CLT Network produced a report with CDS on retail mortgage lending and held a launch event in parliament. Find out more information here.
- They have looked at what the 2018 budget means for Community Land Trusts. Click here to find out what they said
- The Government released a Social Housing Green Paper. Click here to read the National CLT Networks consultation response.
National CLT Network have two events coming up
- Peer-to-peer event in the north of England, Liverpool. Click here for more information
- Their AGM/ CLT awards! Find out more information here