The Ocean Power Innovation Network (OPIN) will hold the project’s official launch at the SEAI Energy Show on the Energy Theatre stage at 4pm on the 27th of March, in the RDS, Dublin. OPIN is a 3-year initiative, running from 2019 to 2021. The project has a total project budget of €2.6M, with €1.5M in financial support contributed by Interreg North West Europe from the European Research and Development Fund (ERDF).
The OPIN Launch Event will provide attendees with an overview of the aims of the project and the partners involved. It will begin with a short opening address from the lead partner SEAI, followed by a discussion panel on the effectiveness of the OPIN pilot (run over 2016-17 in Ireland and Scotland), the benefits of network membership and the supports available to network members in 2019. These supports include workshops, masterclasses, technology benchmarking assessments, and grants for collaborative groups of SMEs.
To attend the OPIN Launch Event sign up for the SEAI Energy Show here: https://www.seai.ie/events/seai-energy-show/
OPIN is a cross-sectoral collaborative network that aims to accelerate the growth of the ocean energy sector and its supply chains across the partner regions of Ireland, the UK, Belgium, France, the Netherlands and Germany.
The basic premise of OPIN is to encourage both cross-sectoral and cross-regional collaboration for Offshore Renewable Energy SMEs. Cross-sectoral collaboration will bring already proven expertise, capabilities and products from other sectors into the ocean energy sector. This will help to reduce costs and accelerate technology development.
OPIN will also create a forum for collaboration and technology exchange across the partner regions. Companies from regions with ocean energy expertise will interact with potential collaborators from regions that are world leaders in other technology fields (offshore wind energy, oil and gas, aerospace, automotive and manufacturing). OPIN will provide a mechanism to transfer expertise between these regions, addressing the disparities in innovation and economic development across North West Europe.
The OPIN project will deliver supports to encourage both cross-sectoral and cross-regional collaboration. These supports will include:
- Annual Symposiums to provide networking opportunities for OPIN members (the first Symposium will be held in September 2019).
- Workshops and Masterclasses to facilitate knowledge transfer between the project partner regions.
- Technology Assessment Processes (TAPs) to allow companies to benchmark their technologies, map structured development paths and identify potential collaborators.
- Collaborative Innovation Groups (CIGs), to support clusters of SMEs, working with research entities or large companies to solve problems identified as barriers to the ocean energy sector.
OPIN plans to support over 100 companies over the lifetime of the project. Additionally, the OPIN network will continue to grow and be a mechanism for the transfer of expertise beyond the life of the project.
The Project Partners involved in the development of OPIN are:
- Sustainable Energy Authority of Ireland
- Scottish Enterprise
- Offshore Renewable Energy Catapult
- Sirris, het collectief centrum van de technologische industrie
- West Atlantic Marine Energy Community, École Centrale de Nantes
- Dutch Marine Energy Centre
- Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft zur Förderung der angewandten Forschung e.V.
For more information on OPIN Launch Event, contact: Ocean.Energy@seai.ie