What is Net Zero Energy?
The Net Zero Energy approach enables housing associations to offer their tenants a comfortable and sustainable renovated house, without the tenants having to pay more than before the refurbishment.
But first, let’s clarify what a Net Zero Energy (NZE) house is. A NZE house generates as much energy as is needed for the house and household appliances. This is possible by using new technologies such as prefabricated facades, insulated rooftops with solar panels and smart heating and cooling installations. After a Net Zero Energy makeover, the house takes on a modern appearance from the outside, while inside the house is free of moisture or drafts.
Thus, once the NZE-makeover is finished, the house doesn’t just looks like a new-build home, it actually has the same quality and life expectancy as brand new houses.
The renovation will be financed by the monthly expenses that tenants previously had for energy and by costs for maintenance by the housing association. Both are part of the business case.
E=0 is based on the successful Energiesprong programme in the Netherlands, delivering net zero energy (E=0) retrofits with a 30+ years performance warranty; installed within one week at a cost paid off by the guaranteed energy savings and maintenance costs (stroomversnelling.nl/initiatief/internationaal). The retrofit greatly improves quality & comfort, leading to wider urban renewal. This game changing approach is based on aggregating demand from the housing supply side and letting them procure a performance-based product meeting this new standard. This challenges industry and their supply chain to innovate. To widen the opportunity for supply chain integration, this E=0 retrofit market must scale up to the NWE region.
The E=0 project is using results from another EU funded project called Transition Zero (supported by H2020) which focuses on the following:
- First studies of business models, regulation, financing & guarantees;
- Aggregating demand for houses to be retrofitted;
- Establishing an outcome-based procurement framework for net zero energy retrofit. In addition to that,
E=0 will boost this development of net zero energy markets in FR, UK, NL & LU, with a focus on:
- Transnational cooperation, to share best practice in NWE to widen the market & to accelerate deployment to 11200 retrofits;
- Setting up demonstrators (41 E=0 retrofits) & financing to learn how best to implement E=0 retrofits within existing planning & regulatory frameworks;
- Activating solution providers (incl. SMEs & start-ups) to spur innovation by scaling into the NWE market and achieve a 25% cost reduction on the current (2015) E=0 retrofit price point in NL.